Monday, June 15, 2009

State Capitol

I know I'm posting a bit backwards, but I thought I would do a couple other posts about our adventures while the cousin was in town. One of the days we went to visit the State Capitol. I felt like such the good homeschooler, or girl scout leader, hehe! Honestly though, having the chance to go and experience so many different things was one of the things I enjoyed most about homeschooling. It brings me back baby!

Okay, so that was us on the steps of the Capitol. We got there on the late side of the day, which was kind of nice because it wasn't as busy. I'd like to go back at some point and catch an actual tour; we had to use the informational pamphlet and take a self guided tour, because we missed the last guided tour of the day.

I love the history of old buildings!

There is actually a bullet hole in the wall of the Capitol Building from some fight that broke out over the 14th Amendment (anyone know what the amendment stated? It's quiz time!!). The men opposed came up with this "great" plan. They thought that if they ran away from the vote (which they knew they were out numbered) then the voting wouldn't be able to actually take place, thus preventing the amendment from passing. Genius I know.

Well, unfortunately not voting wasn't really an option, and when the men drew guns and tried to fight their way out of the Capitol building they were stopped and forced to vote. One of the bullets from that fight remains in the wall of the Capitol to this day.

Pretty neat huh?

If you ever want a fun afternoon activity, check out your local political buildings. I know its a little nerdy, but still it was tons of fun!

By the way - yesterday was SFL and WOT's 29th wedding anniversary - amazing considering SFL's brain matter. Wishing them 29 more happy years ;-)!!

No comments: