Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lets hope its just a cold...

The kitten spend most all of yesterday sitting in my lap. The poor buddy has this sneezing/coughing thing going on. At first we didn't think it was a cold, because he has not had any discharge from his eyes, and he's still eating and drinking. However, last night he just looked worse, and neither he nor I got great sleep. I woke up this morning and took him to our Emergency Clinic that we are so lucky to have nearby, and they gave him a shot of antibiotics, some antibiotics to take for the next several days, and if he gets worse I can take him back in. Poor buddy is sleeping next to me right now; he has had a stressful couple of days. Oh - as a side note he weighs exactly 2lbs, or for those of you in Europe just under 1kg - he's a little guy!! What is sad is that I have patients his size....

The nightshift rotation has actually been going quite well, although I have not gotten much sleep especially the days that I've been working. I think this past week I got a two hour nap before work, then that morning when I got home I slept for about 5 hours, and then the next morning I slept 3 hours so I could get back on a day schedule on my days off. No wonder after two years of doing that, and missing sleep I felt like I was crazy! Hopefully, the rest of these six weeks will go smoothly dayshift will be here before you know it!

Oh, I almost forgot. This schedule I was also asked to precept/orient an experienced nurse who is new to our unit. That means that we take a patient or pair of patients together so she can learn what we do. She is a great nurse, but like with anyone new to working in a PICU she is a little daunted, and I can't blame her I was the same way. I realize now how hard precepting is! You not only have ultimate responsibility for your patients, but you have to give the orientee the opportunity to do things, and learn. Not to mention explaining stuff constantly, and trying to remember to point things out that they may not know. Whew! It has been fun though, haha although I don't feel like I know enough to precept. Teaching is the best way to learn, so woot woot for education!

2 comments:

shrunken_frontal_lobe said...

GACK!

Hey now you can do things the wrong way and blame it on the new person!

"Oooooppppsss, I didn't take out all those tubes, the new girl did!"

"I told her not to turn the TV on and watch all night. but did she listen? noooooooooo!"

Look, don't ever push a wheelchair down the stairs again or i'll have to report you!"

"How many times have i told you NOT to call yout friends in Inner Mongolia and talk all night?"

you know, stuff like that.

he!

Clair Bannerman (alias) said...

Haha - I hadn't thought of that...great idea!!

How about "Well she didn't tell me he was dead -how was I suppose to know?"