Sunday, January 11, 2009

Writers Meet Up

One of my new "activities" that I decided to try out as an attempt to get out a little is a writers meet up group that gets together monthly. My mom (who was still here) was a champ and came with me so I didn't have to go it alone, and I think she even came away a little inspired to write. She makes a fabulous editor - red pen in hand, and I still have memories of school papers that looked like a small animal had died on the pages. However, I am very much a better writer because of her, and I think it will be fun to see how she ends up developing into a writer herself. Ok, so back to the group. I was very impressed that it was so friendly, constructive, and yet everyone said something nice about each story piece that was read. Three people had brought work to share, and copies to allow people to make comments on or help correct. They were read allowed one by one with great discussion following each about strengths as well as ways to improve. I found it immensely helpful, and not like some writers groups where you end up leaving with tears in your eyes, and your papers in ribbons. I look forward to next months meeting, and now I guess I should start working on something to bring. I'm more then a little nervous about letting people that I don't really know yet look at my work, but how can you improve if no one ever sees it? My other challenge is to actually write something to share. At this point in time I think you could say I haven't been inspired in the creative story department, I mean come on my life reads like a poorly written tragedy at this point, and getting in the mood to write something sounds slightly daunting. I guess that I should just start writing short little pieces see what develops, and not worry about whether it is a C.S. Lewis masterpiece. Let this encourage you though to go try something new! I'm sure that no matter where you live you can get involved with something that interests you!!

Otherwise, mom left this morning to head home after her wonderful two week stay. I had to do a little praying tonight though as I laid in bed, because I have been doing much better the past week or so, and I guess I almost felt like the injured bird having to use his wings again for the first time since he broke them. Its that fear of falling again, that the loneliness, sleeplessness, and emotional junk will come raging back stronger then before. Jesus was good though, and as I laid there praying he put the phrase "...wait on the Lord, and be of good courage..." in my mind. What a great reminder! In my weakness He is strong, I don't have to be able to handle it on my own, and better yet I need to remember to take one day at a time!! I know that there will still be hard/bad days, but Jesus never leaves us, even in the hard times He is there, and He wants us to rely on Him. Thankfully with my awesome family, and wonderful God I'm going to keep on keeping on!

No comments: