Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Does your dog bite?"

This morning I really didn't want to go for a walk with the dog. It is wet and gloomy, and I just didn't feel like it. Therefore, I decided that we could train a little in the driveway. I'm sure I'm one of the worst (not the worst) dog trainers, but you know we all have to learn somehow. I know that I'm far to short tempered, and impatient when I should be the well of optimism and second chances. Oh well, maybe someday!!

Okay, back to my story. So, we're in the driveway training when I see out of the corner of my eye this couple who always walks their chow-looking dog around the neighborhood. They're a nice older Asia couple. I put Torque into a sit/stay before he sees them, because I know he'll be nuts once he does anyways.

The man calls over "are you a dog trainer", HAHA okay, sorry I didn't do that.

I politely replied "No I don't train other people's dogs, just this one".

I must admit that I love how people think a dog's size is somehow proportional to their age as the wife asked me how old Torque was, and then was SHOCKED to hear that he's just a year. I mean really if that misnomer was true Chihuahuas would be perpetually puppies - hmmm maybe I have just landed upon some truth to the human interaction with dogs...More on the that later.

The man then asks me if Torque is aggressive.

Please pause the conversation here while I have a Pink Panther flashback to Dr. Clouseau asking (in a French accent) a hotel owner in reference to the sleeping dog on the floor;

"Does your dog bite?"

The reply, "No my dog does not bite."

When Clouseau reaches down to pet said dog it bites him. "I thought you said your dog does not bite!"

Nonchalant hotel owner, "That is not my dog."

...After this speedy replay in my mind I wanted to answer the man "No, why would you think such a thing". As Torque jumps up and down, pulling at the leash...point and case. Instead I politely answered, "No, he just wants to play with your dog", which I might add is the truth. What is also the truth is that Torque would rip some body part off if someone threatened me, of this I am sure. I didn't say that.

They smiled, even laughed a little and walked on. Leaving me to finally turn my attention back to my bouncing dog, place him AGAIN in a sit/stay, and work on some of that attention he so lacks when in the presence of another canine.

THE END.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a crazy, but perfectly believable story.

the bouncing monstrosity wanting to "love" some poor frightened to death micro dog who probably thinks one hit by the monster will surely crush it's whittle head.

torque needs to work on his first impression skills. also needs to remember sit/stay command. he has poor short term memory...