Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back Again!

Whew. It is good to be back! Between my poor car fiasco, visiting the family, almost missing my flight home due to airport delays, and spending the last three days working I not been able to force myself to post.



When I woke up today though, I cleaned my house which was SO needed. Then I decided with some dinner in my belly that I could and should attempt to get on here for an update!



The vacation to my parents was SO much fun. I got to see some of the cousins and grandparents also. I even made it to a Civil War Reenactment, which I'll have to get the pictures from my friend Jess, and then post a couple on here so you can see them. It was the nicest weekend for it. Partly cloudy, 80s, and low humidity. I must admit that I enjoyed every minute! ;-)



The Kitten and my parents cats are doing amazingly well adapting, so we'll see! Hopefully, they will settle in. I do miss the bugger a little, but Polly (DOT's cat) is glad that he's gone. Not to mention - I have a puppy to look forward to around Christmas. I heard from the breeder yesterday that the mommy dog still hasn't gone into heat yet, but as soon as she does we'll hopefully be hearing the good news that "we're expecting"!



My car is repaired and back to normal, WOOT!!! It is so nice to have it back...



I am so ready to be back on day shift Sunday - it has been an exhausting six weeks, and I think I will need to sleep 24hrs a day just to catch up on all my sleep ;-).



I had to renew my CPR/BLS (basic life support) this week, which was no big deal aside from having class all afternoon then going and working all night. The 5th of August though I have to renew my PALS (pediatric advanced life support), and I'm a little nervous because its a very hard class/test. I can't work without it though, so I'm studying a bit for that, and I'll let you know how it goes.



Speaking of CPR. Funny story. At work this morning around 0600 (am for those of you not on military time), my patient started coughing. Now, she liked to drop her heart rate from a normal rate of 100+ beats/minute to a heart rate in the 60s (bradycardia) whenever she coughed or you messed with her ventilator. This wasn't a good thing, and technically we do CPR on all pediatric patients with heart rates <60bpm,>

Ok, sorry for the length of this post, but I promise I'll be posting more soon!! Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a PALS training session coming up as well. I recently heard that some PALS training sessions use live animals...I couldn't practice on a healthy animal, it just doesn't make sense. Fortunately, the center I am going to doesn't do that.

Do you know if you will be learning with an animals?

Clair Bannerman (alias) said...

Wow, that is interesting, I've never heard of them using live or dead animals to be honest...Hmm, I'm pretty sure I won't be at the one I'm going to. I will have to look into that! Thanks for stopping by!

Clair Bannerman (alias) said...

Edward - I did a little looking, and while the American Heart Association which created the course definately is opposed to the use of live animals in the PALS course for intubation practice, it doesn't prohibit it. It looks like the practice is rare, although St. Louis Children's still does. Anyways, that is just what I found. We as RNs should not be usually required to practice intubation since that is not part of our license. Just an fyi :-)