Sunday, December 11, 2005

T'was The Night Before Christmas (part 3)

And then, in a twinkling, before I did know
The prancing and pawing was heard on my floor.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the duct pipes Dr. Howe came with a bound.

She was dressed all in scrubs, from her head to her foot,
And her clothes were all ironed without ashes or soot.

A bundle of test books she had flung on her back,
And she looked like a dictator just opening her pack.

Her eyes -- how they twinkled! her dimples how merry!
Her cheeks were like roses, her nose like a cherry!

Her droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And she just couldn't wait to have us give it a go;

The stump of a septer she held tight in her hand,
And she looked like a king come to take over the land;

She had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when she walked like a bowlful of jelly.

She was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw her, in spite of myself;

A wink of her eye and a twist of her head,
Soon gave me to know I had something to dread;

She spoke not a word, but went straight to her work,
And past out all the test books; then turned with a jerk,

And keeping her eye on the clock on the wall,
She collected the tests, as each student recalled;

Soon she sprang to her office, to the lab gave a call,
And then as we waited our hearts became small.

But I heard her exclaim, ere grades revealed to our sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

(YEAH! I finished it! Enjoy faithful readers!)

1 comment:

ViNeYaRD WoRSHiP said...

Most excellent poem, dear Jessica!

Keith I. You may call me "VineyardWorship"- I am a guy who knows SFL in person only of late (in the past two solar cycles, as HE would say) - certainly not as long as you have. And I know Jess, as I have offered her guidance with (a) a guitar (despite her sinister (i.e. dextrous-incapable) posture), and (b) a car (to overcome her other manual inabilities in coordinated operation of a device).

You can surely ignore sfl's directives for specificity as regards measurement (...engineers!) I offer you my sympathy for working in cold weather without them. Though, since you don't know me, it won't mean much. Ah, but perhaps you shall learn of me through Jess's blog.

Ah yes - Jess! (The whole point of posting, would be to encourage and communicate with the hostess herself - but not wanting to offend guests, who have arrived earlier than I... I introduce myself).

Greetings Sfl!

Jess - a sad event: the little blue device (the "turquoise turtle") has "died". AND, actually, been afterwards "redeemed". The Ford won't run (or more accurately won't STOP) the emergency brake is shot - and Ford makes no parts to repair it. We HAD to buy a VOLVO... (you'd like the heated seats Keith I.), and have sold the turtle to a man from Tennessee. He'll be here next week to pick it up. Ah isn't ebay grand.

So, it's a good thing you learned to drive a stick, while you still had the chance. The Volvo's an automatic (you'd like the moon-roof sfl - better to see the alien homes of Jess's origin by). Was she not once known as SOT?

Blog gossip: I believe sfl IS the one known as T!

More evidence will definitely need to be collected.

Ah but I post over-long in my first round. I stop now.