Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Theory Behind the Midlife Crisis

Once again, I must insist that whatever you read here should be no cause for panic, I am no Emo kid (/e points to google search engine) with suicidal inclinations. Actually, far from it. I am more in a soul searching, midlife crisis sort of time. I know - I know; you can tell me all you want that midlife crisis are for the 40s+ generation (sorry guys), but definately not for me.

The funny thing about "midlife" is that it is the time where all the things that we have surrounded ourselves with that keep up busy seem to fall away. Look at the average person. They finish highschool and either get married right then, or go to college, getting married shortly after graduation. Then come kids, sleep overs, homework, sports, clubs, as well as keeping up with work and your home. I think that we can so often surround ourselves with so much business so that we don't have to answer the question that always looms like a dark cloud on the horizon. Is there anything in life that truely matters? I mean come on now - be honest. How much of what we do avoids the painful sitting in the quiet place asking ourselves how much of our lives are like filler fluff? Can I call it my Ecclesiastes moment?

Growing up I never understood that book, it seemed to go against my optomistic spirit. Now, I think I'm going to take a good look at the wisdom hidden in such sarcastic words. I think in reality we have to come to a place where we understand that there is NOTHING in this life that will somehow give us the fulfillment that we crave. What then is the point to this life? It's about relationship with Jesus. That sounds like the cookie cutter answer, but more and more I think that it's true. Is it wrong to fill our lives with business? No. People were made for company, to interact with others (/e quotes Genesis). However, I guess that it's too easy to lose focus that our primary target is refining our own hearts in the heat of the fire God places in our lives, and some of those fires will revolve around interactions with others (i.e iron sharpens iron), and some of our ability to interact with people will come out of the refined places of our hearts. I don't know if that makes any sense...but once again this is my place to vent so you'll have to bear with me.

Someone once told me that the "here and now" was kind of like school, that it was a training time before true life began. That the short time we have here is a place to grown in the Lord, knowing that the lessons (albeit hard ones) that we go through now are refining us into the true people that the Lord created to fellowship with and live in the New Earth (after the 2nd coming). I must be rambling...Well, I promised I would update, so I think this will have to do for now. I'm hanging in there!! More to come soon!

2 comments:

shrunken_frontal_lobe said...

Well, as one who is on the downward side of the crest of life I can without question state you have no basis to use the mid-life crisis argument. You have barely escaped puberty and what you are dealing with is post-college education drought syndrome (PEDS). Now we all acknowledge that PEDS is no laughing matter. The lack of intellectual challenge, the lack of daily walks in the hallowed halls of higher learning, the lack of basement sludge, the lack of young children clamoring for attention, the lack of pubescent males running naked amok the grassy knolls all make life richer. Surely living among the sick, at night no less, dealing with code oranges, code greens, code reds, and of course the popular CODE BROWN. So PEDS could be a cause for you present questions.

Another problem is your need for personal interaction with other humanoids. If only you could come to realize that interaction with people is highly overrated. I'd recommend finding a good exercise machine and pair of good running shoes to be your friends.

love always!

He!

Lauralou said...

Well, I for one think that there is a lot of wisdom in your words, Clair. I believe that you DO need friends, and busyness CAN be a total distraction from what is real.... On the other hand... Your job might have just a tad to do with it. Your seeing stuff that brings it all right up front; every day. I know you'll be more ready; more prepared for that wonderful plan God has for you. I know... blah blah blah.. but it is real. It is true. He is real. He is true. (You don't have to ignore sfl completely.. being spawn of Thal, and all!) Love you tons!

Laura